Frozen pipes will wreak havoc on your residential or commercial property if not handled properly. Pipes that freeze most commonly are ones near exterior walls with insufficient or no insulation, inside of crawl spaces, outdoor hose bibs and fire sprinklers. Materials will contract the colder they get becoming more dense until they freeze. Water is unique, in fact, when it freezes it becomes less dense. As water is contained inside of a pipe the expansion will cause the pipe to bust.
Frozen pipe prevention tips
Here are some tips to help you steer clear of freezing pipes:
- Insulate by wrapping pipes where freezing potential is greatest.
- Seal drafts and air leaks near water pipes.
- Ensure garage doors are sealed tight and keep them closed if pipes are near.
- Turn on faucets near exterior walls to allow a trickle of water to flow through.
- Turn hose bib valves to the off position.
- Keep the heat on in your home or business
What to do if a pipe bursts?
- Call Grady Property Restoration (800) 773-1658
- All faucets need to be opened
- Shut off water main to the house
- After pipes have thawed turn all water valves in the house off and check the water meter for any missed cracks
- Call a plumber if all else fails
Why choose us?
Grady Property Restoration is a leader in water damage restoration here in the North Georgia mountains and Atlanta Metro area. Our certified water damage specialists will respond quickly providing water removal, in depth moisture inspections, state of the art drying techniques and work with your insurance carrier till the end. We are licensed and insured for our trade and guarantee positive results every time!
For more information on our services please visit our Water Damage Restoration page!
Keep up with us on our Facebook page and give us a like.